Celery is a vegetable that is very beneficial for your health, with significant medicinal and nutritional properties. It has a large proportion of water (95%) and provides very few calories, thus resulting ideal for diets, although it has many benefits for your health that you might not have been aware of.
It has a crunchy texture and a particular flavor that may be strong for some, but combined with other vegetables in soups, salads or shakes, it offers an original and distinctive touch.
It contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B9, C, E and K, minerals such as sodium, potassium, calcium, zinc, magnesium, iron, copper, sulphur, phosphorous, and silicon, fiber and essential oils.
Goodness, we could go on all day listing the benefits of celery, but we thought it would be better to select 12 of its best features and let you be the judge of the rest:
- Purifying and diuretic: it contains potassium and sodium, which help to regulate bodily fluids.
- It reduces cholesterol: it improves blood circulation, helps to increase the secretion of bile acids, and thus animate the cholesterol of the body.
- Antibacterial: removing toxins and infections.
- Anticarcinogenic: studies have proven that this vegetable has compounds called acetyls that help to prevent the metastasis of the carcinogenic cells.
- Digestive: celery juice provides special fiber nutrients that help us to improve digestion, and eliminate gases and constipation.
- Anti-inflammatory: it helps to improve inflammation produced from rheumatoid arthritis, gout, asthma and bronchitis, among other types.
- Skin, hair and sight: resulting from its rich potassium and sodium content, and vitamins such as folic acid, riboflavin, niacin and vitamin C, it helps us to take care of our skin, hair and sight.
- Decreases high blood pressure: one of its ingredients helps to relax the muscles around the arteries, dilating the blood vessels and allowing better blood flow.
- Cures insomnia: its high magnesium content acts in the nervous system, helping us to relax and fall sleep.
- Helps weight loss: it is one of the most prevalent vegetables in slimming diets due to its ability to satisfy hunger.
- It eliminates and prevents kidney stones: it removes toxins of the gall bladder.
- It helps the nervous and muscular system: due to its vitamin and mineral content. It is recommended for joint pains and rheumatism.
We are now devising recipes to include it in our diet, are you in?